I've recently become obsessed with having healthy lashes. I have pretty long lashes, however they are prone to falling out when I am too rough taking my eye makeup off. I also have pretty nice brows that don't require all that much maintenance to look well groomed. That being said, I recently had an unfortunate incident with a tweezer- happy lady at Fantastic Sams, and what I'll refer to as the "fake eyelash glue ripped all my lashes out" incident. So, I've been lacking in the hairy area.
I am mesmerized by the claims of such products as Latisse, which is upwards of $100. There is no way my budget will allow for that, nor would I dish out that type of money for my lashes unless I lost them to cancer or something. I picked up some Physicians Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum in their clear shade.
It was a little over $10 at Wal-Mart, and I believe I got it for about $7 with a coupon that was running at the time. Here's what the product claims to do:
Description.Lash Boosting complex targets the root of lashes where it is most effective in providing nutrients associated with growing long, thick lashes. Innovative and easy to use eyelining tool delivers effortless definition. High-tech Japanese formula is long-wearing, water-resistant and smudge-resistant.
Directions.Apply eyeliner at the base of lashes in a fine or bold line. Never apply eyeliner inside the lash line. Keep cap tightly closed to prevent formula from drying out.
I know with products like these, you have to use them for a few weeks to really see much of a difference. I probably stuck with this for about a week, and it was okay. Nothing special. It was hard to get the twist up applicator to squeeze any liquid on to the brush, and when it did, it was so fast drying I couldn't really tell if I got it in the right places.
So...I gave it up. The good news, is I found a much cheaper and better alternative for $1!!!
VASELINE PETROLEUM JELLY!
It says on the jar to use for minor scrapes, cuts and burns, but I have been using it on my eyelashes, eyebrows, and as an eye cream at night, and it has done me wonders. The jar I have at my house, could seriously last me a lifetime, and it probably costs me about $0.00000001 for every use. Within about 3 days of using it, my eyelashes have become thick and strong, and because of that, they aren't falling out as easily, so I have more of them! My eyebrows have also regrown in (seriously in 3 days!) I plan on continuing to use it, because it has literally made a world of difference for my eye area. <3 this stuff! AND- I looked up the ingredients of some popular lash enhancing serums, and they share a lot of active ingredients with petroleum jelly! Just for fun, I looked up 50 uses for petroleum jelly in your makeup bag online. You can read them on here, or here is the link to the article
1. Put a coat on your eyelashes before you go to bed. Lots of people swear by this - and say it will make your lashes grow longer and thicker over time.
2. Put a coat of Vaseline on your feet at night, cover them with socks and wake up to softer feet - every day!
3. Put Vaseline on your elbows every day - they will stay soft!
4. Put Vaseline on your cuticles several times a day for softer and better looking cuticles every day.
5. Put Vaseline on chapped lips
6. Use Vaseline as lip gloss
7. Mix a little Vaseline with a little Kool-Aid powder and make a colored and flavored lip gloss!
8. Melt Vaseline and one chocolate chip in the microwave, mix and let resolidify for chocolate lip gloss!
9. Maintains perfume scent longer when applied at perfume points before spritzing the perfume.
10. Can be used as a moisturizer for acne sufferers (it is a misconception that it clogs pores)
11. Moisturizes severe dry skin
12. Use Vaseline on your knees to prevent that dry, ashy look
13. Mix with sea salts to make a scrub!
14. Applying Vaseline on your teeth prevents lips from sticking to teeth for celebrities and contestants in beauty pageants who smile a lot
15. Applied on teeth before applying lipstick prevents lipstick from sticking on them
16. Massage, baby!
17. Warmed up can be used as a night cream
18. Makeup remover
19. Protects skin exposed to adverse weather
20. Applied under eye shadow it can create a shiny effect
21. Applied on cheeks for a dewy look
22. Can be used to smooth and soothe skin after shaving
23. Used in manicures under cuticles
24. Gets rid of dry skin lines which can arise from washing
25. Lubricates ear lobes and helps to make earring insertion easy and painless
26. Keeps fingernails pliable and resilient
27. Use with your lipstick to create a cream blusher for your cheeks
28. Helps to ease off stuck on rings
29. Tames unruly eyebrows
30. Defines eyelashes and leaves them with a glossy and waterproof look
31. Conditions scalp pre-shampooing
32. Can help prevent chaffing
33. Aids with healing after cosmetic surgery procedures
34. Reduces scaling and itching associated with dandruff
35. Theraputic when applied to lesions caused by poison ivy
36. Can help improve condition of those with atopic eczema
37. Helps heal and protect new tattoos
38. Can protect against harmful hair dyeing, perming and straightening chemicals when used as a mask around the hairline
39. Use a tiny dab to put a quick shine on your shoes and bags
40. Smear a tiny bit on your hands and scrunch through your hair for a choppy look
41. Use just a touch on the ends of your hair to hide dry and split ends
42. Remove makeup stains from clothing
43. Rub Vaseline on the neck of your nail polish bottles and they won’t get stuck to the caps
44. Make your week old nail polish look new again - rub a small dab over the polish.
45. Use a touch of Vaseline mixed with powder eyeshadow pigment to make new colors, or a more solid eyeshadow that won’t get all over your face when you put it on.
46. Stretch your favorite lotion by mixing it with Vaseline.
47. Put Vaseline on your lips, leave it a few minutes, then scrub your lips with a toothbrush to exfoliate and leave them SO smooth
48. Remove false eyelash glue from your lash line
49. Apply a small amount on dry spots on your body before fake tanning lotions are applied, and prevent uneven tanning!
50. Generously apply Vaseline all over before taking flights to combat associated dryness
And just for fun, this one is totally not beauty related, but VERY timely - here is #51:
Once you carve your Halloween pumpkin, rub Vaseline on the exposed edges. it keeps it from rotting or going dry.
Hello all, this is Jessica. Here is what I am currently trying: Lashology Eyelash Booster and Enhancer.
This had been sold on HSN for $26.90, but I got it at TJ Maxx for $10. I used it a few times and then forgot I had it, so now I'm on a mission to begin using it daily to bring you guys a future review. So far, the other reviews were mixed, but it seems the people that didn't see a difference reviewed it only after a few days and usually any difference will take weeks. I also have pretty long and full lashes, but of course I always want more and fuller and am hoping to keep what I have!
Check out this video to see this product's claims to give your eyelashes and brows a boost. It conditions and reconditions the lashes, protects
lashes with 7 key ingredients inc. amino acids, multivitamins, conditioners, etc. Suppose to give you longer, thicker, fuller longer looking lashes! We shall see! Stay tuned for my 2 week review!
Yours in Beauty, Justina and Jessica